Elder Care in Crystal Lake IL
Going on adventures with your senior parents is a fun way to change up your elder care routine, get their minds and bodies active, and spend quality time together you can remember years into the future. This June, bring your elder care adventures under the sea and get up close and personal with marine life during Aquarium Month.
Aquarium Month is the perfect opportunity for you and your elderly loved ones to get interested in the amazing world that exists right beneath the water and discover the incredible range of plant and animal life that make up this unique and mysterious ecosystem. While this adventure can be a one-day trip, it is also a fantastic chance for you to stimulate your parents’ minds and encourage curiosity and exploration through a month filled with activities, experiences, research, and more. This gives their minds a workout, wards off feelings of depression and boredom, and fosters conversation and bonding with you as well as their elderly health care services provider.
Here are some tips for planning an adventure to the aquarium and then extending your marine life learning throughout the month of June:
• Pick the perfect aquarium. Research your area to find out if there are any aquariums nearby that you could visit as a morning or afternoon trip. If not, you may need to plan an overnight or weekend trip to get to an aquarium. This is a fun chance for you to plan a little beach excursion so you and your elderly loved ones can learn at that aquarium and then visit the beach and talk about the plants and animals you now know more about
• Find out about admission. Look online or call the aquarium to find out about all of the different admission options for the aquarium. Some are considered museums and do not have an admission fee, while others do require a fee, but many offer discounts for seniors and members of certain organizations such as AARP or AAA. Find out if there are extra fees for certain exhibits or activities and talk with your seniors to find out if these are things you may want to do during your trip
• Research ahead of time. Find out about the types of animals housed at the aquarium you plan to visit and do some research with your elderly parents in the lead-up to the trip. This is a great way to get excited about your excursion and prepare you for some of the things you can learn at the aquarium. Come up with a list of questions or things you and your loved ones are curious about so you can “hunt” for the information during your visit
• Be prepared. Look at pictures and videos of the aquarium to find out as much as you can about the location, the layout, and the lighting before you go. Many aquariums keep the lighting very low to accommodate the different needs of the marine life, so make sure you are ready to provide any mobility assistance your seniors may need to remain safe while visiting
• Get involved. If there are interactive exhibits or activities offered at the aquarium, try to participate in as many as you can. Many of these hands-on experiences allow visitors to touch or even feed certain aquatic animals. These experiences stimulate the senses and create lasting memories.
If you want to plan a visit to an aquarium during Aquarium Month and are concerned about your seniors’ physical or cognitive challenges, get in touch with the elder care agency in your area to discuss hiring an elderly health care services provider who can accompany you and offer assistance to make the visit safe, healthy, and enjoyable for everyone.
If you or an aging loved one are interested in elder care near Crystal Lake, IL, call the caring staff at Harmony Home Care Inc. at 847-382-6200. Providing Care in Barrington, Inverness, Arlington Heights, Palatine, Buffalo Grove, Crystal Lake, Lake Zurich, Huntley, Hoffman Estates, & Vernon Hills.
Latest posts by Carl Erickson (see all)
- 5 Safety Tips for Seniors in the Sun - July 1, 2015
- 5 Reasons Senior Care Should be Considered when Someone is Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s - June 23, 2015
- Elderly Care Recipes: Cool and Refreshing Marinated Cucumber Salad - June 17, 2015