Home Care in Crystal Lake IL
Whether you live at a distance from your elderly parents, have limited time due to your other obligations, have physical limitations that make care difficult or impossible, or just want to give your senior loved ones a broader care circle, hiring home care is a wonderful way to enhance your parents’ care. In home health care services providers offer a wide range of services tailored to the specific needs of elderly adults so that they can continue living in their own home safely and comfortably. By introducing this type of care provider into your care plan for your seniors you can help them maintain their independence, support their physical and emotional health, and give them a higher quality of life.
If you are considering hiring an in home care provider for your seniors, it is important to have clear goals and expectations regarding the care relationship. This helps you work with the care agency to identify the right provider for your needs, instruct that care provider about what your parents need, and evaluate whether the care relationship is truly working for you and your seniors.
Clarifying your goals for a home care relationship for your elderly loved ones should start before you even get in touch with the elder care agency. By having these goals firmly in mind and knowing exactly what you expect out of the care relationship you can help the care agency select the care provider who best meets these specifications for a smoother, more beneficial transition.
Some of the ways you can clarify your goals include:
• Discuss with your parents. Sit down with your parents and discuss with them the types of care and assistance they feel they need. Let them tell you the help they want and compare this with your concerns so together you can come up with a level of care that makes everyone comfortable. Be open with them about signs you have noticed and the help a care provider could offer
• Evaluate yourself. Take some time to honestly evaluate your own capabilities as pertains to the care of your parents. You may want to think that you can handle everything they need and be their sole source of care, but if you do not actually have the time, energy, strength, or emotional ability to handle these needs you could put your health, the health of your parents, and your relationship with them at risk. Talk with your partner or a trusted friend about your parents’ needs and determine how much care you can truly provide. This shows you the gaps that the care provider must fill
• Write down your goals. The act of writing things down solidifies them in your mind and makes them feel more concrete. Write out exactly what you want and expect from the care relationship with the provider, from the exact care activities she should handle to the type of companionship and emotional support she should provide. Use these notes as talking points when calling the care agency and as reference to evaluate the care relationship later
• Talk with others. Ask the care agency for referrals for other families who have had home care relationships. Talk with them about their experience and find out if they would change anything about the care provider, the schedule, the type of care, or anything regarding the arrangement. Use these stories to help you clarify in your mind what you hope to achieve for your parents through establishing this type of care relationship.
If you or an aging loved one are interested in home care near Crystal Lake, IL, call the caring staff at Harmony Home Care Inc. at 847-382-6200. Providing Care in Barrington, Inverness, Arlington Heights, Palatine, Buffalo Grove, Crystal Lake, Lake Zurich, Huntley, Hoffman Estates, & Vernon Hills.
Latest posts by Carl Erickson (see all)
- 5 Safety Tips for Seniors in the Sun - July 1, 2015
- 5 Reasons Senior Care Should be Considered when Someone is Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s - June 23, 2015
- Elderly Care Recipes: Cool and Refreshing Marinated Cucumber Salad - June 17, 2015